Check out this week’s hottest afrobeats news,World entertainment news, gossip, latest releases and UK afrobeats tours on Factory 78 news. This week, we have news on Samklef, Wizkid, UK Afrobeats show promoters, Seun Kuti Tilla, Juliet Aina and loads more
Follow Twitter @afrounleashed
Afrocentricity unleashed would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to all our followers, readers, friends, fans, retweeters, colleagues, commenters, critics and everyone who has connected with us at one point or the other in 2012.
The road to perfection is not without its “speed-breakers”, “sleeping policemen”, “potholes” and other kinds of inhibitions and inhibitors; but it also comes with its essential lessons which are learnt along this path.
Please keep your support coming since we simply CANNOT thrive without it. Our agenda, mission and vision statements have not changed i.e showing Africa, Africans, Afrocarribeans and people of African heritage in a good light, celebrating diversity in different endeavours of art, as well as being constructive critics of anything African veering off mark! We earnestly look forward to evolving more next year with newer and more exciting articles, reviews, interviews, blogs and news at your disposal.
Enjoy the slide show below showing a statistical analysis of our achievement in 2012
Many thanks to all and sundry, and do have a prosperous and productive 2013!
See you there 🙂
On behalf of Afrocentricity Unleashed.
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2012 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
600 people reached the top of Mt. Everest in 2012. This blog got about 3,600 views in 2012. If every person who reached the top of Mt. Everest viewed this blog, it would have taken 6 years to get that many views.
Oxfam Launches “Food for all Campaign” To Address Africa`s “Hunger-Stricken Continent” Media Stereotype.
A few months ago(October 15), Afrocentricity Unleashed covered an article called Giving Back! (which can be found here https://afrocentricityunleashed.com/2012/10/15/giving-back/) where we mentioned the negative media depiction of Africa as a hunger-plagued continent. Oxfam`s Cheif executive Dame Stocking released a statement regarding this issue. You can read more on the interview here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20842827. There is also an ongoing discussion section which you can engage in if you so desire.
Top of the day to our followers! Today we have decided not to take ourselves too seriously and have a bit of a laugh on Afrocentricity unleashed(for a change). Please note that this post is for humour purposes only and if you easily get offended, i will suggest you ignore this post and view some of our other posts. I can assure you however, that if you have a good sense of humour…we can get a smile off you even if it`s just for a split second ;).
Enjoy the attached pictures, showing hilarious signage and warnings. The message intended(even though not well written), always have the desired effect. Enjoy the pictures and have a wonderful & relaxed weekend 🙂
Afrocentricity unleashed was created one year ago today :).
We would like to say thank to everyone that has followed, commented, read a blog, retweeted, voted, encouraged, morally supported us and done one thing or the other to help promote us and our agenda of showing Africa, Africans and Afrocarribeans in a good light. We do have a long way to go and have no intention of “dropping into abyss” since our mission and vision becomes clearer by the day as we evolve. There is absolutely no doubt that we are drawing some attention considering we got nominated for the blog of the year award at the just concluded beffta awards 2012. Please keep your support coming since we simply cannot thrive(or even exist) without it.
One again thank you all, and we look forward to fulfilling our personally-set obligation to provide you with entertainment news, interviews, reviews, historical enlightenment, whilst still showing Africa, Africans,Afrocarribeans and people of African heritage in a good light!
On behalf of Afrocentricity Unleashed
The 4th annual Beffta awards was held on the 27th of October 2012, at the Hippodrome, Golder’s Green, London. This event, which is the brain child of Pauline Long, recognizes excellence in Black Entertainment, Fashion, Film, Television and Arts.
Afrocentricity Unleashed was present at this occasion as a nominee for the blog of the year award(thank you for your votes). We did not win this category, but we had a lot of fun on the red carpet and had a chat with a few people from all areas of the Beffta categories.
Stepping onto the red carpet, we were greeted by a horde of photographers, flashing lights and colors which, all together, looked like a typical hollywood blockbuster premier. There were models dressed in very colorful attires posing for pictures, music artistes, film producers, fashion designers etc having interviews, people complimenting each other`s attires, and everyone generally socializing…and exchanging business cards.
The host of the day was comedian Eddie Kadi alongside Pauline Long. Afrocentricity Unleashed caught up with Lemar who is a U.K R& B singer and DJ Abrantee from Choice FM among others. Sir Trevor. who is a renowned media icon won the Beffta Lifetime achievement award, and received one of the few standing ovations acknowledged by all. Also in attendance and onstage was Fabrice Muamba, a premier league footballer who collapsed on the football pitch in march 2012, but was resuscitated by the incredible and relentless effort of paramedics and doctors. He gave a very brief but emotion provoking speech , as well as a vote of thanks for prayers by all during his difficult experience. Below a full list of winners in all categories.
Best Female Act: Lady Leshurr
Best Male Act: Valentine
Best Gospel Act: London Community Gospel Choir
Best International Act: Ruff Kid
Best UK AfroBeats Act: May7ven
Best UK Caribbean Act: Sandra Cross
Best International Afrobeats Act: Juliana Kanyomozi
Best International Caribbean Act: Sean Paul
Best Video Director: Sesan
Best Dance Act: CEO Dancers
Best Dance Choreographer: Tony Adigun
Best Comedian: Eddie Kadi
Station of the year: Colourful Radio
Radio personality of the year: Julie Ann Ryan
Best Community Newspaper: The Vision
Magazine of the year: Afro Pulp
Journalist of the year: Belinda Otas
Blog of the year: We Plug Good Music
Best Events Promoter: Femtej Kreations media
DJ of the year: DJ Unbeetable
Best Photographer: Sync Photography
Best Male Fashion Designer: Zekaryas Solomon
Best Female Fashion Designer: Linda Mirembe
Best Hair Stylist: Edee Beau
Best Wardrobe Stylist: Erica Matthews
Best Make-up Artist: Kristy Prince
Best Fashion Choreographer:Yvonne Simon
Best male model: Salisu Abdullai
Best female model: Lisette Mibo
Best Modelling Agency: Demus Castings
Best Beauty Pageant: Miss Black Africa
Best Former Beauty Queen: Shirley Dee
Best Beauty Pageant Director: Jacqueline Wabara
Best director: Obi Emelonye
Best Actor: Ken Smart
Best Actresses: Anita Bellamy
Best Film: Last Flight to Abuja
Best screenwriter/Scriptwriter : Maxine Chantel
Best theatre production :Belong by Bola Agbaje
Best Actress: Chizzy Akudolu
Best Actor: Wale Ojo
Best TV Station: VOX Africa
Best TV Show: Meet The Adebanjos
Best TV personality: Femi Amusan
Best presenter: Fernand Frimpong Jnr
Best Webseries: All About The McKenzies
Best online TV: Factory 78
Best Spoken Word Artist/Poets – Oneness Sankara
Best Art Director: Ola Shobowale
Needless to say, it was a star-studded affair with colorful attires and hairstyles all looking very brilliant. Please find below pictures from Beffta awards 2012
courtesy of Nick Reynolds photography(www.nickreynoldsphotography.co.uk), and a video courtesy factory 78(Beffta winner for best online T.V 2011 & 2012)
Keep it locked on afrocentricityunleashed.com!
Follow us on Twitter @afrounleashed
EDDIE KADI AND FRIEND
SIR TREVOR McDONALD(OBE)
EDDIE KADI, SIR TREVOR McDONALD(OBE) RECEIVING BEFFTA LIFETIME AWARD, AND PAULINE LONG
SIR TREVOR McDONALD(OBE)
ZEKARAYAS SOLOMON RECEIVING BEST MALE DESIGNER.
AFROCENTRICITY UNLEASHED TEAM
MISS GHANA 2012
AYO OJO, ADESOPE OLAJIDE, JEMMA, AND DJ LANRE(FACTORY 78 TEAM)
Beffta awards 2012 part 1
Beffta awards 2012 part 2
The 4th annual Black Entertainment Film Fashion Television and Art(BEFFTA) 2012 is just around the corner again!
This annual prestigious award, which is the brain child of Pauline Long, recognizes outstanding performance in the Black Entertainment, Film, Fashion, Television and Arts industry.Afrocentricity Unleashed (yours sincerely) will be at this event as a guest, and (wait for this) NOMINEE 🙂. Online voting kicks off at 7pm today, the 7th of October 2012, and closes on the 21st of October, 2012.
Please find the different categories, as well as a list of nominees below.
- 1. Best Female Act: Mz Bratt, Nike Jemiyo, Cleo Sol,Cherri Voncelle,Hayle Cassidy, Lady Leshurr, Kyra, Princess Nyah, Yolanda Brown, Misha B, Lilas Lafleur, Kookie, NY, Emily Kay, Shiikane, Lea- Anna, Oneness Sankara
- 2. Best Male Act: Angel, IKES, Smiler, Wiley, G Range,Clement Marfo, Jermaine Riley, J Sol, Donaeo, Valentine, Dele, Infecta, Scorcher, Fuse ODG, John Hectic, Micall Parknsun, Pane and Yardz, Alim Kamara
- 3. Best Gospel Act: Guvna B, Faith D, Divine Divine, V9 Collective, New Rivers Choir, Muyiwa and Riversongz, Andrew Bello, Meleke, Grace Galaxy, London Community Gospel Choir, Dolly P , Divine Impact, Lyrical Soldier
- 4. Best International Act: Zahara, Camp Mulla, Cover Drive, Dbanj, Grace Galaxy, Ruff Kid
- 5. Best UK AfroBeats Act: Fuse ODG, Mista Silva, May7ven, Kida Kudz, Musik Maestro, Shay, 2kriss, Shiikane, Tipsy, Mo Eazy, Vibes Squad, Ezi Emela
- 6. Best UK Caribbean Act: Carol Thompson, Roger Robin, Sandra Cross, Maxi Priest, Lloyd Brown
- 7. Best International Afrobeats Act: WizKid, DBanj, Wande Coal, Zahara, Iyanya, Chameleon, Ice Prince, Fally Ipupa, Sarkodie, Nameless, Nonini, Juliana Kanyomozi, Itz Tiffany
- 8. Best International Caribbean Act: Movado, Vybz Kartel, Gyptian, Damain Marley, Sean Paul, Munga Tun Up, Konshens, Aidonia, Popcaan
- 9. Best Producer: Mr J, Ayo Beatz, Perry Mystique, Victizzle, Rymez, J Weathers, Don Jazzy
- 10. Best Video Director: P Designs, Sesan, Moe Musa, Elmino, Trail Pictures, AJE Filmworks, Antoine Dixon-Bellot Colin Tiley, Dego Visionz, Uvi Orogun, Akpe Ododoru, Duminas Alliance
- 1. Best Dance Act: Boy Blue, CEO Dancers,High Rollaz,D3 Dancers, Project G, Akai, Dan-Kira, Cerebro
- 2. Best Dance Choreographer: Ricardo Gomez, Kenrick Sandy, Ashley Banjo, Tony Adigun, Turbo
- 1. Best Comedian: Eddie Kadi, Babatunde, Funmbi, Ola the comedian, A Dot Comedian, Geoff Shumann, Don’t Jealous Me, Prince Abdi
- 1. Station of the year: Rainbow Radio, The soul of London Radio, Voice of Africa radio, Zimnet radio, Guess Radio, Bang Radio, Colourful Radio, Premier Gospel, Zimpower FM, Playvybz Radio, Zimonline Radio, East Africa Radio Online, Inspiration FM
- 2. Radio personality of the year: Yinka Awojobi, Kojo, Ace and Vis, Dave P, Jade Avia, Nage, Kweku Frimpong, Dotun Adebayo, Geoff Shumann, Wayne Boucaud, Benita White, Julie Ann Ryan, Space Clottey
- 1. Best Community Newspaper: The Voice, The Vision, GLA News, Afro News, Trumpet, Phoenix,
- 2. Magazine of the year: Black Hair, New African Woman, Black Beauty and Hair, Dive Scribe, Rewind, Ovation, Fab Magazine, OK Nigeria, ,Ninetynine Magazine, Arise Magazine, Pride, Afro Pulp, Tropics, Zen
- 3. Journalist of the year: Charlene White, Lukwesa Burak, Janelle Oswald, Mimi Fawz, Lorna Cooper, Henry Bonsu, Regina Jere-Malanda, Belinda Otas, Shoggy Tosh
- 4. Blog of the year: Nissi Knows, Shadders, Notjustok.com, Bella Naija, Funmi Ogunja, Black Grape, Jennie Jenkins, Berry, Haut, Lolo’s Kloset, Jestina-George.com, Africa fashion guide, afrocentricityunleashed.com, The peoples Hub, Eighteen Forever, We Plug Good Music, Nollywood Uncut
- 1. Best Events Promoter: Smade, Cokobar.com, West Coast, Bashment Vibez, Play Entertainment, USH(UK Unsigned Hype), Deroots Promotions, Theodore Ibekwe PR, CRU NETWORK, FOCUS organization, Femtej Kreations media, Disk&Jockey entertainment, Cams promotions
- 1. DJ of the year: Dj Neptizzle, DJ Unbeatable, Dj Fabuloz, DJ Shola Bee, DJ Xclusive, DJ Cameo, Dj Cee Cee, DJ French Kiss, DJ Lady G2, Dj Dubwise, Dj Longers, Dj Melody, Dj Eve Parkes
- 1. Best Photographer: Akwasi Photography, Sixoone Media(David Mbiyu), Trevor Griffiths(iDelick Media), Cassandra M Photography, EJS Photography, Dami Oyetade, (Idezign), Squiz Hamilton, Stuart Dayley, Fire Shonu Photography, Sync Photography, Creative Piece, Adeyinka Adepitan, Vivida, Akpe Ododoru
- 1. Best Male Fashion Designer: Adebayo Jones, Visual Artistic Designer, James Brendan, Keve, Kgtkkt Couture, Zakaryas Solomon, Kitoko, Obiora Ichiebuka, Yusuf Abubakar
- 2. Best Female Fashion Designer: Bukki Ojo, Bestow Elan, Light of Marie, Fabryan, Rouge, Eki Orleans, Anita Quansah, Korlekie, Adopted Culture, Dionne Gooding, Bubbushiiky, Tina Lobondi, Janet Opoku, Linda Mirembe, House of Adjeiwaa, AGR Clothing, Dephne Madyara, Johanna Jasmine Maddix
- 1. Best Hair Stylist: Edmund Bossman, Junior Green, Eugene Davis, Charlotte Mensah, Donnie Smith, Sandra Webb, Verona White, Adeola Olase, Charlene Cumberbatch, Leon Jade, Joel D, Edee Beau, Ether
- 2. Best Wardrobe Stylist: Samson Soboye, Joel Dash, Tanesha Westcarr, Erica Matthews, Viennty Styling, Natasha Clarke, Crystal Deroche, Yemisi Adedipe, Sandra Aji, Samantha Watson , Jason Boateng, Abigail Ayoola
- 1. Best Make-up Artist: Sophia Taylor, Sheeba Raye, Imelda Ladebo, Sophia Taylor, Kristy Prince, Saamia Khan, Joy Adenuga, Barbara Mensah, Dimple Patel, Ganga Bahambra, Edee Beau, CSG Make-up and beauty
- 1. Best Fashion Choreographer: Reuben Joseph, Anouska Lewis, Yvonne Simon, Kwame Knight
- 1. Best male model: Martins Igbinedion, Dudley O’Shaughnessy, Hassan Resse, Guetan, Jeremy Boateng, Salisu Abdullai, Charles Rare, Duke Dadzie, Zebulun Delisser, Prince Nkay, Dwain Stephens, Hassan Reese
- 2. Best female model: Symara Templeman, Juanita Francis, Sherene McNicholl, April Alexander, Nana Afua Antwi, Edith Uba, Lydia Harris, Samira Hashi, Rukundo Tusubira, Rosemary Chileshe, Lisette Mibo, Cynthia Chisom,
- 3. Best Modelling Agency: LV Casting Agency, Minc Model Management, Mahogany Model Management, Stomp Model Management, D1 Model Management, Oxygen Model Management, Demus Castings
- 1. Best Beauty Pageant: Miss West Africa UK, Miss Ghana UK, Miss Zim Diamond,, Miss Uganda UK, Miss Jamaica UK, Miss Flavour UK, Miss Black Africa, Miss Congo UK, Queen of Zambia UK, Miss Nubian Pageant
- 2. Best Beauty Queen: Miss Congo UK 2012, Ruvimbo Chinzou, Fatoumata Touray, Ann Marie M’Sichili, Victoria Okafor
- 3. Best Former Beauty Queen: Shirley Dee,Vicky Ngari, Nicola Sackey, Maria Namiro, Ruvimbo Chinzou, Denise Hanson, Misha Terrett, Victoria Mtonga,
- 4. Best Beauty Pageant Director: June Daley, Mavis Osei, Dennis Tawiah, Jacqueline Wabara, Bridgette Chalu, Glorianne Francis, Dele Onabowu , Justina Mutale, Jacqueline Matovu
- 1. Best director: Richard Ayoade, Noel Clarke, Patrick Campbell, Obi Emelonye, Christian Asaiku, Tawanda Chimuzinga, Samuell Benta, Lanre Balogun
- 2. Best Actor: Wil Johnson, Anthony Manjaro, James Bryhan, Wale Ojo, David Ajala, Ken Smart
- 3. Best Actresses: Fatima Jabe, Omotola Jalade, Queen Allen, Sherrie Silver , Lorraine Fox, Anita Bellamy, Uru Eke
- 4. Best Film: Last Flight to Abuja, Amina, To The End Of The Road, Moral Conflict, Amina, Shattered Hearts
- 5. Best screenwriter/Scriptwriter : Obi Emelonye, Maxine Chantel, Bola Agbaje Ann Akin, Debra Odutuyo, Samuell Benta, Babi Isako, Tolulope Yesufu
- 6. Best theatre production Meet The Adebanjos, Belong by Bola Agbaje, I stand corrected by Mojisola Adebayo
- 1. Best Actress: Tameka Empson, Dianne Parish, Michelle Asante, Kehinde Fadipe, Chizzy Akudolu, Freema Agyemam, Letitia Hector, Faridah Rimmer, Moji Bamfeta
- 2. Best Actor: Chucky Venn, Ashley Walters, Jimmy Akingbola, Nonso Anozie, Aml Ameen, Wale Ojo, Hugh Quarshie, David Ajala, Samuell Benta
- 3. Best TV Station: BEN TV, VOX Africa, Africa Channel, Hi TV, OH TV
- 4. Best TV Show: Shoot The Messenger, The Hi Life, AfroBuzz,The Sporah Show, The Magazine Show, Meet The Adebanjos, New Generation Show, BBS(BEN TV)
- 5. Best TV personality: Nana AFua Antwi, Alesha Dixon, Lukwesa Burak, Femi Amusan, James Sherwood, Sporah Njau, Leah Charles
- 6. Best presenter: Fernand Frimpong Jnr, Nana Afua Antwi, Sporah Jau, Leah Charles, Reggie Yates, Adesope Olajide, Sugapuff, Remel London, Natalie Brown
- 7. Best Webseries: Breach, Venus Vs Mars, All About The McKenzies, Before The Big Time,
- 8. Best online TV: Factory 78, UPshot TV, SBTV, Time With Natalie, Gidiculture TV
1. Best Spoken Word Artist/Poets – Oneness Sankara, Alim Kamara, Dan Bosi, Chaleboy The Poet, Dean Atta
2. Best Art Director – Trendy Couture, Kwame Knight, Akpe Ododoru, Ola Shobowale
We will be providing you with a full disclosure of how the night pans out without excluding any details.
Keep it locked on AFROCENTRICITY UNLEASHED!!!