AFCON 2013 FINALS: THE EAGLES VS THE STALLIONS!!!
Nigeria plays Burkina Faso in the finals of the African Cup of Nations which is the most prestigious football tournament in Africa (similar to UEFA European Football Championship). This tournament is a FIFA recognized tournament which is spearheaded by CAF (Confederation of African Football).AFCON was conceived in 1957 as a continental tournament and was first hosted in Khartoum, Sudan This year sees the likes of South Africa, Zambia, Ghana, Mali , Tunisia , Angola , Nigeria , Algeria , Burkina Faso , Morocco , Niger , Togo , Cape Verde, Congo and Ethiopia divided into 4 different groups A to D(for detailed group stages information,see our blog via http://wp.me/p1WMk8-rP). Today`s final is between Nigeria and Burkina Faso. Check out some known facts about these two teams below:
– The Nigerian Super eagles have won this prestigious tournament twice with the first won in 1980(also as the host),and the last won in 1994.
– Burkina Faso has never been in an African Cup of Nations final
– The last time Nigeria was in the finals was in 2000 when they were beaten by Cameroon in a penalty shoot out.
– If Nigeria wins tonight`s final against Burkina Faso, their coach Stephen Keshi will be the second(after Mahmoud El-Gohary of Egypt) African national coach to lift the trophy as a player and coach.
– Burkina Faso held Nigeria to a 1-1 draw during the group stages.
– Nigeria and Burkina Faso would be playing each other twice in one tournament
Who will be the final winner of this year`s African Cup of Nations 2013? Will it be Nigeria redeeming her football image on the world football stage or will it be Burkina Faso making a grand entrance like Zambia did last year?
THE COUNTDOWN TO THIS YEAR`S AFCON 2013 FINALS BEGINS NOW………………
Posted on February 10, 2013, in Africa, World, worldwide and tagged AFCON 2013, Afcon2013 finals, African Cup of nations 2013 finals, burkina faso, Burkinabes, nigeria, Paul Put, Stephen Keshi. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.
Na naija win am na,